Here at UK Advertising, we love advertising, but it’s a weird and wonderful world! We wanted to compile a few facts from advertising that might make you ponder! If you’re not ready to give up your day job, let us do the hard work. We can design you a website, help you start a paid search campaign or advertise your business at train stations and supermarkets! Get in touch to find out more!
- Did you know that the average pharmaceutical company will spend more on advertising than they will on actual research – up to twice as much more? This is a huge business, especially outside of the UK.
- There is a phrase in TV land called the TV Pick Up. This describes the term when people use the advert break to go make a cuppa. Can you guess when the biggest pick up was? You might have been glued to your seat but it was, according to the BBC, on July 4, 1990, as England and West Germany were getting ready to shoot penalties in the FIFA World Cup semi-final.
- Recent stats show that adults over the age of 15 spend 2.8 hours in front of TV every day. The “Advertising and Audiences” report by Nielsen also states that roughly one-quarter of programming is advertising. That’s almost 70 minutes of ads per day, per person! Imagine how many ads you have already seen today?
- It is said that back in 1982, Mars rejected an offer for the inclusion of M&M’s in the upcoming movie ET. the Extra-Terrestrial. Instead, the American chocolate brand Hershey took the chance and they showed Reese’s Pieces and according to countless reports, saw its product’s sales jump by as much as 300% – proof that advertising works – however subtle!
- It might seem like a daily occurrence for your inbox to be rather full, but it has been suggested that the first email spam was sent out in 1994 by the law firm, Canter & Siegel.
- Another stat shows that by the time we reach age 65, we will have seen approximately 2 million TV commercials. That number could be much higher if we take into account social media advertising, billboards – adverts in train stations and supermarkets – there are so many places to be seen!
- It was way back in 1922 that the first radio spot was offered at a very reasonable price of $100 for a whopping 10 minutes of commercial! Today, you’ll have better success with paid search.
- It’s true that we have the world at our fingertips – and people are searching for things every day. In fact, the Google Chairman, Eric Schmidt stated (as of 2010) “Every two days we create as much information as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003.”
- In 2013, marketers spent $8.5 billion on mobile advertising, double the amount spent in 2012. By 2017, researchers project that that figure will quadruple to $31.1 billion and it is well on it’s way.
Were you surprised by some of the facts? We are always interested in how advertising is progressing, but what interests us more is helping your business grow! We would love to speak to you about paid search, train station or supermarket advertising, or even creating a business website for you. Get in touch with us today!